Sunday, March 29, 2015

33:120 Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey & Eric Hagerman

Blurb from Goodreads:  In SPARK, John J. Ratey, M.D., embarks upon a fascinating and entertaining journey through the mind-body connection, presenting startling research to prove that exercise is truly our best defense against everything from depression to ADD to addiction to aggression to menopause to Alzheimer's. Filled with amazing case studies (such as the revolutionary fitness program in Naperville, Illinois, which has put this school district of 19,000 kids first in the world of science test scores), SPARK is the first book to explore comprehensively the connection between exercise and the brain. It will change forever the way you think about your morning run---or, for that matter, simply the way you think

This was assigned reading for my son's Health class and since I homeschool, I read everything my kids do in order to better answer questions, have meaningful discussion, and grade papers with accuracy.  I found this book enthralling and I have to say that many of my own personal experiences mirror very closely what he was describing in it and it has helped me to understand the whys and wherefores of what is going on in my brain and body when I exercise and how they all work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment