Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Releases I'm Looking Forward To: First Quarter 2014

My usual disclaimer:


Let me state, this is really based on authors or series that I'm already reading since those are the things I follow.  I'm not paid to write this blog nor do I have any affiliations with any publishers so I don't receive free books or advance notice of things except what I glean off Facebook from people who do have those contacts or what I research on my own (which again, leads back to authors that I'm already reading).  Maybe someday I'll be one of those who has the contacts and gets ARCs but it's not today.

Last quarter was pretty quiet in terms of new releases for me so I was working hard to get a few things knocked off my to-read list which pretty much failed miserably because well, I'm me and there are always more shiny books showing up around me for a variety of reasons.  This quarter starts off big in January and then doesn't have a lot showing up in February and March but what it lacks in quantity it more than makes up for in much anticipated releases.  So let's look at 2014's early offerings:

So we start off 2014 quickly with two new releases on the first Tuesday.  Black Arts by Faith Hunter is the newest in the Jane Yellowrock series.  I was sad when Molly and Jane's friendship underwent some serious strife and now Molly has disappeared and her husband, Evan Trueheart, has come to Jane to try and find her.  There is no way that Jane would say no to this and I'm seriously hoping that Molly is found safe and sound and this paves the way to their resuming their friendship.  Oh, pretty please!!!

Release Date: January 7th

Dreams of the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn is the second book released this first Tuesday and I think the first hardback release for Carrie Vaughn and the sequel to After the Golden Age.  I really enjoyed the first book and am thrilled that this has become a series rather than a one-off as I think the possibilities are fascinating in a world where superheroes can't be superheroes but then are needed as such.  Bring it!

Release Date: January 7th

Next up is the first time in print of Indexing by Seanan McGuire.  Originally released as a Kindle Serial where a new installment was given out every other week for 24wks, this isn't quite a new release but I feel it deserves the shout out.  I read it in the Serial format and it just about drove me absolutely bonkers with the cliffhangers but if she did it again, I would willingly follow along again as she is completely brilliant.  I'm really hoping that she plays more in this universe in the future.  Twisted modern fairy tales?  Yes Please!

Release Date: January 21 (but you can get the kindle edition now)

Crimson Veil by Yasmine Galenorn hits bookstores at the end of the month and I really wish it were sooner.  When we last left the D'Artigio sisters, the Elfin city had been demolished, the Elven Queen was dead and Chase's girlfriend taking over in that role, their father is missing and presumed dead, and war and chaos were breaking out everywhere.  I have to admit to feeling a bit of trepidation coming into this one as to how things are going to work out for all the characters we have grown to love and am hoping that we'll see more things to give us cause to hope that things are not as dire as they currently seem.

Release Date: January 28th

The only February new release is an outstanding one with Undead Pool by Kim Harrison.  The 12th book in the Hollows series which means there is only one more coming and things are not getting any easier for Rachel.  She managed to stop the demonic realms from shrinking in the last book but apparently, per usual for Rachel, things are backfiring and causing all kinds of problems in the real world.  Problems that she needs to help solve before all out war between Interlander and humans breaks out again.

Release Date: February 25th

Wow, already to March and we get a pair of fantastic books coming out early in the month.  Half-Off Ragnorak by Seanan McGuire is the new Incryptid book but this time told from Alex's point of view which will be a very new voice as so far Seanan hasn't done anything from the first person male pov before.  I'm curious as to how it will go as we have only seen this world through Verity's eyes before and now it will be a whole new protagonist, setting, everything.  Kelley Armstrong did this brilliantly with her Otherworld series and I'm hoping that Seanan can do it just as fabulously.

Release Date: March 4th

The first quarter new releases ends (for me anyway) with Night Broken by Patricia Briggs.  I love that Mercy and Adam have had such a strong relationship but bringing in the ex-wife???  I'm glad to read that there is someone (something?) else behind her desire to try and make trouble for Mercy and Adam but seriously, who can mess with this couple???  They are incredible with their devotion to each other and we all know who will win in this case.  It's just a matter of what big bad is really knocking on their door this time and how they'll get through it, other than together of course.

Release Date: March 4th

No comments:

Post a Comment