Monday, May 13, 2013

64:120 The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Written as a series of letters to someone only addressed as 'friend', Charlie takes us through his freshman year of high school with all its accompanying ups and downs for him as he tries to find his way through it.  It's a tough time as anyone who has been there knows and for Charlie it's no different.  One minute he's on top of the world making friends, hanging out, going to the RHPS, and the next life is horrible as he deals with family drama or friend drama.  It's an incredibly difficult time for anyone and as Charlie tends to stay on the fringe, it seems especially so for him.  I saw a lot of myself in this, as I think most people who read it will, but it came out just after I graduated but my brother talked about how it was a lodestone for him.  Reading it now as a parent with one in college, one a freshman in high school, and two younger ones I found it a good reminder to me to be attentive and present for them as much as possible while still allowing them to find themselves at this critical time of their lives.  Definitely a poignant and powerful novel.

Page count: 213p/15,185p ytd/159,605p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment