Friday, May 3, 2013

56:120 One Hell of a Ride by Seanan McGuire

Short story set in the Incryptid universe filling in some backstory about Jonathan Healy and Francis Brown.  The story starts on a train ride shortly after they meet.  Jonathan had found and been forced to destroy a Questing Beast that the owner of the carnival Fran worked had acquired but in the process had become endangered and Fran was forced to rescue him.  They are now heading back to Jonathan's parent's house as Fran figures out what to do next when the train takes a jump and the next thing either of them know, there are imps all over the train eating the other passengers.  Not exactly date time but you can see the attraction for the two of them as they fight to get the train back to the right plane of existence.

Nice to see some backstory on the family as I think Jonathan and Frances are Verity's grandparents (iirc) and you can definitely see some family traits there.

I normally wouldn't be including a bunch of short stories (like I'm about to here), opting instead to just put them all in under one entry but I've got a bunch of other things that aren't counting and these actually have separate entries on the book sites that I use so I'm going with it but yes, that does mean it's very likely I'll be upping my goal for this year.

Page count:  20p/13, 496p/157,916p

No comments:

Post a Comment