Friday, December 14, 2012

110:121 Kick-Ass by Mark Millar & John Romita Jr.

Saw the movie and thought it was crazy but an intriguing concept so when Chris got the book for his birthday, I figured I'd give it a go.  In all, the movie was pretty faithful to the book although the story of Big Daddy was changed.  If you haven't seen the movie, it's a comic about an ordinary teenager who is a bit of a geek and short of friends deciding that his life is boring and why don't  more people try to become every day superheros.  He dons a costume and with zero training, goes out patrolling the streets of a mob town to try and bring some justice into the equation.  He gets the crap kicked out of him and almost dies.  This leads to his having plates put in his head which dampen his pain receptors and doesn't deter him from going out again and again.  He's a junkie and this is his high.  Along the way, he meets two real masked crusaders: Big Daddy and Hit-Girl.  Hit-Girl is about 10yrs old but has spent her entire life training to take out the bad guys by her father.

This is a bloody and gore infested comic, make no mistake.  I knew that going in and wasn't too surprised by anything in it but I just couldn't get into the artistic style of it.  I get that it's supposed to be gritty and everything, but it was just ugly.  I won't go out of my way to see the movie either but at least the movie had an artistry about it that I just felt the comic lacked.

Page count: 192p/38,582p ytd

No comments:

Post a Comment