Saturday, August 15, 2015

89:120 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

In Alice in Wonderland, Alice is daydreaming instead of paying attention to her lessons when she sees a white rabbit running through the field muttering "Oh dear, oh dear" to itself before taking a pocket watch out of its waistcoat pocket and she simply must follow to see where it's going.  This leads her down the rabbit hole and into Wonderland where nothing is quite what it seems.  She meets the Dodo, Mad Hatter, March Hare, Chesire Cat, the Duchess with a baby that turns into a pig and the cook that has an obsession with pepper, the Queen and King of Hearts and their playing card court, and many others. She learns that you should be very careful what you eat but even more careful of what you say.

When Alice then goes Through the Looking-Glass and has to find her way to becoming a Queen these lessons serve her well but she still ends up in a variety of strange situations where nothing seems to make any sense but she learns how to believe in the impossible which leads her through.

I've had this book on my shelf for as long as I can remember.  I have seen the Disney version more times than I can count and used to cosplay as Alice at conventions.  I always thought I had read the book all the way through but I realized as I was reading it to my youngest that there was a lot that I really had no recollection of so I'm pretty sure I never actually read it before now.  It was interesting reading the parts I had no idea about and compare them with all the different film versions I've seen.  It was definitely strange and left me wondering where in Carroll's brain this all came from (I often wonder the same thing about Baum) but I enjoyed it overall and it was definitely fun discussing the adventures with my 9yr old.


Page count: 304p/23,625p ytd/238,557p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment