Monday, May 26, 2014

64:120 A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin

The 5th book in the Song of Fire and Ice series.  Part of this is set at the time as A Feast For Crows but deals with what is going on with Arya, Deanerys, Tyrion, Jon Snow, Davros Seaworth, Stannis, Melisandre, and some new characters to the books like Reek and Quentyn Martell.  Towards the end it merges again and we find out what is going on in King's Landing and with Cersei although not much about Tommen.  The main focus on this book is with Jon Snow and King Stannis and what is going on in the North and at the Wall and also what is going on in Meereen with Deanerys and her dragons.  That is probably the most compelling storyline right now as her dragons are becoming wilder as they grow larger which is causing her grief enough but then her personal mission to free all the slaves and keep them free which is keeping her in Meereen rather than heading back to Westeros is fascinating.  How to balance out what she feels to be right and just when so much of the world is against you.  I admire her for her passion and really hope she gets a better ending than so many of the people in these books.  Otherwise, lots going on and it leaves off with a couple of cliffhangers (go figure).

I'm really glad I didn't have to wait between books four and five as the wait now is going to be torture enough.  I'm also really glad I finally read this one as there were things going on in the TV show that while it's supposed to be covering book 3 right now are actually not really talked about until this book (Reek is a great example of that).  I understand why they changed things and don't object at all as it makes sense but I'm glad I've now caught up with the reading so I don't get so confused.  Now I'm in the same place as everyone else who has been reading these books, waiting, waiting, waiting, for the next one to come out.  *sigh*

Page count: 1,016p/16,192p ytd/197,230p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment