Tuesday, May 13, 2014

55:120 Yes Mommy: The Madness and Mayhem of Not Saying No by Amy Sprenger

When my friend Amy told a group of us that she was going to do an experiment for a month by not telling her three children (ages 7, 5, 3) no or stop for a whole month, we were supportive but skeptical.  Would anyone still be alive at the end of it?  As a homeschooling mother of 4 myself, I do practice the art of saying yes as much as possible but I have my limits.  If I never said no, schoolwork would never be done and my kids would do nothing but play Minecraft all day...when they weren't actively trying to kill each other.  Like so many have said to me about homeschooling, I swore I couldn't do it and wished her all the luck.  She only gave us little bits here and there mostly to let us know that she was still alive and so were they since this was all designed to become her next book and now here it is.

Yes Mommy is written in her usual snarky style (seriously, her blog is called snarkymommy so if you were expecting something else this is not the place to look for it).  Her kids managed to not ask for anything hugely outrageous (no ponies) and I'm betting the older two will have some wonderful memories out of it and Amy seems to have learned somethings about herself and her kids at the same time.  There are parts that made me laugh, some that made me wince, but all of it was obviously written from a place where I think almost every mother has been at some point in their life.

If you are looking for a fun, light read this summer pick it up and enjoy.

Page count: 153p/13,060p ytd/194,098p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment