Wednesday, April 23, 2014

47:120 Oh Myyy: There Goes the Internet by George Takei

Being a card-carrying geek since long before they gave out cards for such a thing, I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't know who George Takei was once I was old enough to know such things.  A child of the 70s, I grew up watching Star Trek reruns and looked forward to them.  My mother made me a tiny Uhura costume and there is a picture out there of me around 3yrs old sitting in her chair on a set someone brought to a convention.  That's when I wasn't dressed up as Princess Leia.  So yeah, I'm a geek and proud of it.  So of course, being a geek, I've been following George on FB for as long as I knew he was on there which has been a few years now.  I enjoy the humorous posts he throws out there as well as his commentary on them and I tend to align well politically with him so any of those types of posts, I appreciate as opening my eyes to something I may want to research further.  When I saw this book for cheap on Amazon for the kindle, I jumped on the chance to grab it.

Is it amazingly awesome? No.  It's a pretty quiet sketch of his foray into social media, what he has found that works for him, what hasn't, how he has evolved in his usage of it.  This isn't an autobiography of his whole life, just a specific snapshot in time focusing on a specific topic.  An enjoyable and quick read and for the price I paid, a fun read but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Page count: 246p/11,395p ytd/192,387p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment