Thursday, April 17, 2014

46:120 Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Happier Life by Arianna Huffington

I'm passingly familiar with Arianna Huffington which means I've seen her on The Daily Show/Colbert Report and I read articles that my friends post on FB that link over to the Huffington Post and I knew this was her baby.  This book was chosen as our book club book this month and I thought it looked interesting and I looked forward to reading it.

Let me sum up the book simply for you.  Sleep more, unplug from devices, slow down, meditate, listen to your intuition.

That was the main message in the book and the rest was just cherry-picking from reports experts have written or sayings of her mom to illustrate these points.  None of the points are new or amazing or anything else.  There were some good quotes that I bookmarked to remind myself of things but it's no more than you would get on a quote of the day calendar.  What surprised me the most was that the book ended at 69% with the next 6% being a list of apps to help you unplug, set timers for your social media use, or even do nothing so you can meditate.  Seriously?  The point of the majority of your book is to tell everyone to unplug and then the next thing you do is give a list of apps?!?!?  I'm sorry but I unplug by putting my phone down and leaving it in another room.  Going outside without it or a computer is another one.  I don't need an app for that and I think it completely contradicts the whole point especially having an app to meditate.  The last 25% of the book was notes on everyone she quoted from so in reality, it's a short book (remember, there are a LOT of quotes and sayings throughout) that is not outstanding or filled with anything that experts haven't been telling us for several years now.  For all that, I'd give it 3/5 stars because if you hadn't been paying attention before this and she helps you hear it than that is a good thing.

Page count: 352p/11,149p ytd/192,141p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment