Friday, November 15, 2013

117:120 Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

Framboise has returned to the small French town of her youth under her married name, unable to stay away but not willing to face the mistrust and hatred of the town as the daughter of the infamous Mirabelle Dartigan.  Unfortunately, the past is not so easily put to rest as she finds when she starts reading through her mother's journal filled with her famous recipes but also pieces of her thoughts written between the lines.  The memories take Framboise back to her childhood in German occupied France when as a child of nine, she had little understanding of the world and words like collaborator and resistance.  Will she finally be able to put the demons of her youth to rest or will what happened to her during that year continue to haunt her forever?

A story that seems to wind it's way along, going back and forth between present day and the past but then I would look up to find that 30min or more had passed and another 10% of the book was done and I would just want to keep reading because it was quiet and deliberate, descriptive without droning on and on, touching and poignant without being heart-breaking.

Page count: 307p/32,086pytd /176,486p lifetime


And with that, I've read 40 new authors this year with time to spare. I'll easily make my goal of 120 books but not sure the goal of 40,000 pages is going to happen. I thought with reading GoT, that would make it easier but those are so in-depth and rich that I'm not whipping through them quickly like I would with other books. We'll see what happens but right now my big goal may just be to get through the rest of that series before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment