Wednesday, March 13, 2013

32:120 Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

Kid book club.  A series of poems written by a young girl in Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl.  The family farm is failing due to the dust storms and then an accident kills her mother and unborn baby brother and leaves her hands so scarred that her only source of comfort, playing the piano, is lost to her as is her father after the tragedy.  It's her story of the aftermath and moving forward.

I can see why it won so many awards but the style didn't appeal to me and I found the entire thing bleak and depressing.  I've read books about Jews in Nazi Germany that were more lighthearted and hopeful than this one but I will admit that it captured the mood masterfully.

Page count: 227p/8,251p ytd/152,671p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment