Wednesday, November 16, 2011

104:95 The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

So Neil Gaiman is one of those authors that all my friends have told me that I absolutely must read and this is one of his books that they all refer to as being incredible.  Jonathan had a copy and had started reading it and didn't want to put it down (which says a lot right there).  I ended up at "An Evening with Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer" a few weeks ago and got to hear him read some of his pieces....I was hooked!  I came home and not so nicely demanded that Jonathan fork the book over to me so I could read it right then and there.

I was blown away.  For a children's book, it's so dark but never in a way that terrifies.  It's scary but you always understand that it will all turn out alright in the end.  It's deep and thought-provoking, poignent and fanciful, endearing and scary.

It's darn near perfection.

I won't spoil it more than that but simply to say that it's truly as incredible as everyone has said (heck, it won't a Newberry so it isn't just me thinking these things).  If you haven't read it yet, go do so.  You won't regret it.

Page count: 307p/28,363p ytd

No comments:

Post a Comment