Monday, June 29, 2015

73:120 Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Second time reading this book, this time for book club.  Here's my previous review:

All I can say after reading this is Wow!  An intricate world is built in these pages and you can tell that there is much, much more to learn about it in future books.  I love how we don't get a lot of expose in the beginning but instead are put right into the story and the world and characters are allowed to unfold more naturally as we go. The characters are intense and there is always something more to learn about them as well.  I truly don't want to say much about any of it for fear of giving anything away but let's just say there is a magically hidden book, a forbidden romance, magic, and of course witches, vampires, and deamons (oh my!) but even more interesting is the scientific bent overlaid on top of it all...until the magic covers it over again.

A fantastic book and I'm anxiously awaiting the second book in the series.

I can say I wasn't quite as enamored with it this time as I was the first but it still kept me gripped and I can't believe how much I had forgotten.  Probably a good thing I read it again since I still need to read the third one.  I think I'll just go find the cliff notes for the 2nd one so I can skip slogging through that one again.

Page count: 830p/18,300p ytd/233,234p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment