Tuesday, December 23, 2014

118:120 The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

The first book in the Mary Russell series.  Mary's parents have died in an accident and she is now living in a small town in England.  She is wandering one day when she stumbles across the famous Sherlock Holmes.  He lives in the town now after having retired some years earlier.  She has a keen mind and they strike up a friendship and he begins training her after his own methodology.  In between her time at Oxford, she ends up taking on some cases with him and their relationship is cemented when someone starts trying to kill them both.

I've had a lot of friends raving about this series so I picked up a few as I could at the local used bookstore and grabbed the first one on Kindle so I could start the series sooner.  I really, really enjoyed it.  I've read several of the original Holmes stories, some of the anthologies with stories written by other people, and can't get enough of the BBC Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman and I felt that this captured the spirit of Holmes wonderfully and it was nice to see a strong female character actually in the lead.  Mary is, of course, a bit daunted by Sherlock when they first meet but not intimidated by him and not afraid to speak her mind.  I can't wait to get the rest of the series and find the time to read them all.  I've heard they are all just as good as this one.

Page count: 384p/33,265p ytd/214,303p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment