Thursday, May 31, 2012

110:63 Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Classic adventure tale.  My only other reading of Verne's work was 20,000 Leagues which I had a mixed opinion of.  On the whole, I enjoyed this one much more.  Less time was spent classifying  and more time spent on the human interaction and self-reflection but still managing to be scientific in feeling.  Similar stories in some regards, especially in comparing the Professor and the Sea Captain.  Dogmatically pursuing their ideals without any real regard for those who get dragged along.  Even still, I admired his tenacity while I found the nephew harder to relate to.  He whined incessantly and it felt like he was only along to try and show his uncle where he was wrong and thus providing his uncle with the means to show off his superior knowledge.

Still a fascinating read and has me wanting to read more of his work in the future.

Page count: 282p/20,183p

No comments:

Post a Comment