Thursday, November 17, 2016

90:120 Once Broken Faith by Seanan McGuire

When Toby was sent to the Kingdom of Silences to try and prevent war, no one suspected that she would return with a cure for elf shot, the magical substance that induces a 100-year coma in full-bloods rather than killing them which would violate Oberon's law but is also deadly to changelings.  The cure was used to wake up the sleepers in Silences but now it must go through the political process with the High King and Queen to determine if it will be made widely available.  Arden is all for using it, of course, since her brother has been asleep for 80 years now but there are many who don't want to see the cure distributed.  By the end of the first day of the conclave, someone is dead and now Toby must find out who killed him if peace is to be maintained.  When Dianda is shot with elf shot, Toby needs to figure out if it's the same person or if she is dealing with two different factions.  As she gets closer, the danger to not only herself but her friends increase and time is running out for them all.

I was bummed that all the school reading for my kiddos had kept me from this book for so long so as soon as I had my head above water, I reached for it.  I needed something to let me escape and this did not disappoint.  I love these characters so much and I admit to almost throwing the book at one point because I needed a feel-good story and what happened did not look like that was going to happen.  I actually had to take a break for a few minutes to compose myself and then had to finish the book to make sure it ended up all right.  I'm not sure how I would have held up if the results had been much different.

In the back of this edition is the novella, Dreams and Slumbers.  Since I don't want to post spoilers for the book, I will just say that this is told from Arden's point of view and deals with her thoughts on her sleeping brother.  I found her to be a bit whiny in her internal monologue which was kind of a turn-off but I think this could be setting up some interesting things for the future of the series.


Page count: 420p/24,055p ytd/273,205p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment