Monday, March 31, 2014

37:120 The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes edited by John Joseph Adams

Book club read.  A collection of new Holmes tales in which not everything has a logical explanation.  As in any anthology it was a mixed bag.  Some were phenomenal, some were good, some were fun (possibly not intentionally), and some were just meh.  In all honesty, I was expecting more to hit upon the fantastical and a lot more Lovecraftian twists especially with the introduction so I was a bit disappointed that only a handful went that route and most while seeming to be otherworldly ended up having a more common explanation.   I think my favorite had to be Gaiman's story, A Study in Emerald, where the Elder Gods had come to life and taken over the world 700 previously.  Such fun!   I will say, I enjoyed most of the tales and found it an amusing read.  Now I need to find some time to go back and read some more of the original tales.

Page count: 449p/9,037p ytd/190,029p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment