Thursday, September 15, 2011

104:77 The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente

September runs away with the Green Wind to Fairyland where he must leave her to have her own adventures.  Unfortunately, Fairyland used to be a wonderful place under Queen Mallow but she disappeared and now it's been taken over by The Marquess who has imposed all these rules and regulations and nothing can fly but the winged cats, not even dragons or lovely wveryns.  September ends up in front of the Marquess who threatens her new friends if September doesn't do her a favor.  Little do either of them know what the consequences of her accepting will be...

An interesting take on Fairyland.  I found it to be a bit of a slow read with the complex explanations and long-winded tone it takes from time to time, mostly in the beginning.  I enjoyed it overall tho but I'm not sure how long my boys would sit still for it although I'll try and find out at some point since it is a children's book and I'd like to get the children's take on it.

Page count: 247p/23,062p ytd

No comments:

Post a Comment