Friday, June 24, 2016

54:120 A Fantasy Medley 3 by Carey, Hearne, Bickle, & De Bodard

Goddess at the Crossroads by Kevin Hearne - set in the Iron Druid series, Atticus recalls a night in the presence of Shakespeare when they came across a Hecate summoning which provided the Bard with the idea for the Witches in Macbeth.  This is the second short story I've read in the universe and I've enjoyed them both. I have the books in my to-read stack so I really need to move them up the list and read them already.

Ashes by Laura Bickle - Anya Kalinczyk is trying to track down the powerful Nain Rouge in Detroit before it causes any more damage.  She has her 5ft salamander familiar Sparky to aid her and then Hades' Charon turns up as well and what a team they make.  I found the premise and characters interesting enough to consider finding more by this author.

Death of Aiguillon  by Aliette De Bodard - The house Huyen has been working for has now been taken down by others and she is now trying to survive houseless in the slums of Paris with other houseless servants just like her.  She has however attracted the attention of some of the more powerful beings in the city and it may not be the hand up she was hoping for.  This one just didn't grip me. It felt like there was too much backstory going on that was not given which made it difficult to understand the nuances of all the personal interactions.

One Hundred Ablutions by Jacqueline Carey - Dala has been chosen by her people's overlords to serve as a handmaiden to their gods. However, there are other forces at work that want to see her people freed and they believe that she will be a major part of the revolution.  An interesting tale in a world that I don't think I've read about before but I'd love to read more about.


Page count: 151p/14,746p ytd/264,706p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment