Wednesday, May 20, 2015

56:120 Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

The first in the Hidden Legacy series by Ilona Andrews.  The world invented a serum to stimulate latent magical abilities years ago and now humans are divided by magical strength and ability.  In that scale, Nevada Baylor has listed herself as a null to hide the truth that she is actually a human lie-detector, a rare ability, and a fairly powerful one at that.  She has a small detective business that supports her family since her father's death but the crippling medical bills meant that she had to mortgage the business to a powerful family who is now calling her in to track down a Prime, the highest level of magic user, who is capable of setting anyone and anything on fire.

In her quest to try and gently bring in her quarry, she attracts the attention of "Mad" Rogan, another powerful Prime, who is searching for an accomplice of her target and will stop at nothing to find him.  He gives her no choice but to work with him but the plan backfires as she manages to find vulnerabilities he didn't even know he had anymore.  Now not only is he dealing with this case and trying to save the world, he is trying to figure out the way into her heart as well.  As for Nevada, she is trying to decide whether to run from her attraction or give in.  Neither seems like a safe choice.

So this is published by Avon Romance as a paranormal romance, something I don't tend to seek out but since I love Ilona Andrews and actually enjoyed her last foray into the genre with the Edge series of course I grabbed this one.  I was not disappointed.  The world is well constructed, the characters engaging (although I could have done with a little less of Nevada's constant self-doubting internal monologue), and the plot, while being fairly a fairly typical and straight-forward one, managed to keep my interest due to the characters and world although I will admit, the cover makes me cringe in a big way.  I'm interested to see where they go with this in the next one.  I know it's been postponed but when it comes out, I'll definitely be picking up my copy.


Page Count: 382p/14,649p ytd/229,583p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment