Monday, January 12, 2015

2:120 Self-Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mr. Emerson wrote of his beliefs that within each of us, there is a greatness possible but it can only be found by being true to ourselves and foregoing conforming to societal norms simply because they are expected of us.  He speaks to how we often second-guess ourselves and the value of our thoughts until we receive validation from outside forces.  "To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, that is genius."  I'm not at the point where I believe that my personal beliefs are true for all but I am at the point where I am continually questioning and evolving them for myself and striving to live up to them.  "Trust thyself, every heart vibrates to that iron string." "But do your work, and I shall know you. Do your work, and you shall reinforce yourself."  There are so many, many more great words and thoughts in this that these are only the tip of the iceberg.  Do yourself a favor and read this for yourself. Come to your own conclusions but above all, make sure they are yours.

Page count: 88p/216p ytd/215,150p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment