Saturday, July 20, 2013

83:120 The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan

Mehrunnisa loved Prince Salim from the first moment she laid eyes on him when she was 8 years old.  After that moment, her only thoughts were about how she would marry him and become his Empress some day.  Life does not always follow a young girl's dream though and many things can change between when one is 8 and 30.  Mehrunnisa, however, is brilliant and determined and will find a way to have her happily ever after.

Historical fiction is not generally a genre that I go for but the back description of "An enchanting historical epic of grand passion and adventure telling the captivating story of one of India's most controversial empresses" just grabbed my attention.  So much so that I ended up choosing it for my book club's read for this month.  I was not disappointed.  I was absolutely enchanted by the story and fell in love with Mehrunnisa and her strength of character.  Beautifully told and a captivating tale.  Apparently it is the first of a trilogy and I'm looking forward to reading the others now.

Page count: 383p/21,329p ytd/165,729p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment