Thursday, June 20, 2013

77:120 A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

The first book in A Song of Fire and Ice series.  In a land where summer can last for years before winter takes hold for a comparable time, summer is coming to an end and winter is coming.  Creatures are massing in the North the likes of which are only remembered in legend.  Meanwhile, in the south, the House of Targaryen has recently been overthrown as Kings of the 7 Kingdoms by Robert Bartheon who wed Cersei Lannister whose brother was foresworn when he took the head of the previous king.  Now the King's Hand, Jon Arryn, is dead and King Robert feels the need for someone who is completely loyal to only him and not the Lannisters so he chooses his boyhood friend Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfall in the North.  What Eddard discovers about his predecessor's demise may doom his whole house because when you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die.

Ok, I'm behind the times in reading these but at the same time I don't regret it as now I don't have to wait years between books until I get past the 5th in the series.  I do agree that this was incredibly well-written, very detailed and descriptive (at times I wish it were less so), the characters engaging even when they aren't particularly likable, and the plot intricate.  I've got a book or two that I need to read before I can start the next one but you can be sure that I'll be reading it soon because I have to know what happens.

(and no, I haven't seen the show yet as I wanted to read the books first but now I can at least watch the first season)

Page count: 674p/19,754p ytd/164,154p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment