Thursday, September 27, 2012

110:99 Xombies: Apocalypse Blues by Walter Greatshell

Agent X has swept across the world and devastated the human race.  Starting out among the women of childbearing years who would turn blue and suddenly gain super strength, speed, and healing abilities, they then started making it a point to administer the kiss of "salvation" to anyone around them.  Problem is, most people don't see being turned into something akin to a zombie as salvation.

Lulu and her mother have just driven cross-country in an attempt to find Lulu's biological father and have been shut up in a house with little access to news of the outside world when Agent X hit.  On their first foray out to get supplies and information, they are greeted by a strange new world and one that neither of them is prepared for.  Lulu is eventually able to win free and find a man who may or may not be her father but is willing to use his resources to try and save her.  Unfortunately, in this new world, nothing ever goes as planned.

I read this one in order to fulfill an A-Z book title challenge.  It's pretty hard to find books that start with X and a friend recommended it so I figured what the heck.  I'm going to preface this whole review with the fact that while my oldest child is a Zombie-fanatic, I am not.  I pretty much only read zombie anything in an attempt to be able to communicate and have some sort of discourse with him.  As a result, I have read a few phenomenal zombie books (Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant springs immediately to mind) and some that made me want to claw my eyes out and marching across the house to ask him why he would read such poorly written crap.  This one goes in the middle.  It had some fresh new perspectives on the tired cliches but frankly, I never really cared for any of the characters.  The lead was constantly going from whiny and annoying to ultra-capable and then back again.  The rest were basically names thrown in to play the roles needed to move her along.  It's not a bad book but I wasn't gripped enough to be going out of my way to read the rest of the series.

Page count: 336p/31,239p ytd

No comments:

Post a Comment