Friday, November 21, 2014

109:120 Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Reading this as part of school with my 8 year old.  It's still such an amazing story and I love how even my boys have all been enthralled with the series.  Here's what I said about it 6 years ago when I read it for the first time:

It was sort of a weird read. I kept thinking back to watching the show (I know, always a bad idea when actually reading the book) and it was so wrongly different, especially the part where they spent a year there and then had to move on. I mean, really, that show lasted how many years???

I have to say that I did find it fascinating hearing her description of how Pa built their house by hand (a house just about the size of our master bedroom) and got everything started for a farm before they were forced to move on. One man with just a bit of help from his neighbors (who weren't within shouting distance even) with a wife and 3 small daughters. Wow is all I have to say to that! I think it shows a lot, both about the human spirit and about how far we've come from there and not necessarily in a good way much of the time.

I can't really add much to this.  I am still amazed at everything this family went through and how they worked together and with such grace through such hardship.

Page count: 309p/30,270p ytd/211,308p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment