Wednesday, July 30, 2014

81:120 Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Set in 1327, Brother William of Baskerville and his novice, Adso, have arrived at an Italian abbey in order to be present for a meeting between the Franciscans and emissaries of the Pope.  William arrives early to find that there has been a mysterious death in the abbey and he is asked by the abbot to investigate.  As an early predecessor to Sherlock Holmes, he observes and deduces and uses logic but will it be enough?

I really enjoyed the movie with Sean Connery and Christian Slater so was excited to see what more the book would add to it but honestly, it took me forever to get through and surprisingly, I enjoy the movie more (this is a weird thing for me to say but there you have it).  Most of what was cut out was long passages of theological discussion or pages describing the abbey.  It was long winded and hard to get through because things would start happening with the mystery which interested me and then would get sidetracked over to stories about how the different Christian factions were hating on each other which interested me not at all.  Not a bad book, just not the book for me.

Page count: 536p/20,524p ytd/201,562p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment