Saturday, May 26, 2018

23:100 American Vision published by Glenco

Review from 2015:
High School History Text Book.  A look at American history starting with a brief overview of how people came to the Americas and Native American culture (seriously, 16 pages on all of this), and then n it starts in on the colonization by the Spanish and moves on from there.  It does do a better job than my high school history books in that it looks at more than colonization, the Civil War, and WWII but it still tends to be glossed over certain areas and the writing is drab and not very engaging.  This one only goes through 2003 with a special 2004 election update so it will be the last time I use this edition and I'm curious how the Iraq war and Bush's presidency will be portrayed in the next edition I get.

So I thought that would be the last time that I would use that edition but the new updated course from my preferred high school curriculum has switched over to a new format where it is not tied to a book but wants you to do research based on the questions in the syllabus.  While I like that style of learning for things like science, I think it's problematic for something like history for a variety of reasons.  First being that when you are searching for answers like that in terms of history, it's very easy to miss a lot of the nuances and surrounding issues that affected things.  Second, in this day and age of the internet it is very easy to be sucked down into holes of things that are factually incorrect but are doing a very good job of looking like authentic trustworthy sites.  So I prefer a textbook when it comes to history and so I stuck with this edition and will see what happens when I circle back around to this course for the last time in about 5 years.

Page count: 1138p/5,184p ytd/297,205p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment