Friday, October 10, 2014

100:120 Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

I read this one as my second ever read on my first kindle (first was 1984) and it was completely memorable.  Here is what I said back in 2009:

A very different look from what is offered in George Orwell's 1984 but with very much the same premise, just different ways the "government" went about achieving it.  I'm glad I read them in close proximity to each other so the comparisons were very vivid.  I think of the scenarios offered between the two books, this one is the more likely outcome and definitely something to be guarded against.  I definitely found myself routing for the savage and agreed with him that "civilization" was hardly something to be applauded.  I found the end somewhat unsatisfying but I think that fit well with the whole book and it's definitely one I'll remember for a long time to come.

I was right although there were definitely details that had gotten lost in the last 5 years so it was a pleasure to read again.  Unfortunately, it's very easy to see how this is even closer now than it was back then which is truly terrifying.

Page count: 196p/27,060p ytd/208,098p lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment